Recent blog posts
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.12.04 With Ashley Line from Promise House, Lerone Lambda Weekly Your YouTube URL is: https://yo
- Texas Blues Radio Living Blues radio poll report, December 1, 2016
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.11.27 With Jason Hanna and Joe Riggs, Patti & David Taffet
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.11.13 with Vic Holmes, Melodía Gutiérrez and Kathy Bowser, Patti, Lero
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.11.06 with Candy Marcum, Patti, Lerone, and David Taffet
- Texas Blues Radio Living Blues radio poll report, November 1, 2016
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.10.30 with Leslie Jordan , Lerone, and David Taffet Lambda Weekly
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.10.23 with John Carlo, Lerone, and David Taffet Lambda Weekly
- Knon 89.3, Lambda Weekly 2016.10.16 with Christian Guevara, Lerone, Patti and David Taffet Lambda Weekly
- Knon 89 3, Lambda Weekly 2016.10.09 with Rev Eric Folkerth, Patti and David Taffet Lambda Weekly
What Drives Trump Supporters?: Sociologist Arlie Russell Hochschild on Anger & Mourning of the Right
In the wake of Monday night’s first presidential debate, the establishment Republican Party and conservative newspapers continue to distance themselves from Donald Trump amid increasing accusations of racism, sexism, xenophobia and Islamophobia. Today, former Virginia Republican Senator John Warner is reportedly slated to endorse Clinton. This comes as Arizona’s largest newspaper, The Arizona Republic, has endorsed Hillary Clinton—marking the paper’s first time ever endorsing a Democratic candidate for president. The editorial board wrote, "Since The Arizona Republic began publication in 1890, we have never endorsed a Democrat over a Republican for president. Never. … This year is different." For more, we speak with famed sociologist Arlie Russell Hochschild. She has spent much of the past five years with some of Donald Trump’s biggest supporters, researching her new book, "Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right."
"I Called You to Help Me, But You Killed My Brother": Police Shoot Dead Unarmed African-American Man
Police in the San Diego, California, suburb of El Cajon shot and killed an unarmed African-American man Tuesday, after his sister called 911 to report her brother was having a mental health emergency. Eyewitnesses said 30-year-old Alfred Olango was holding his hands up when he was tased by one police officer and then fired upon five times by another officer. In video posted online, Alfred Olango’s grieving sister is seen tearfully confronting police. She tells them, "I called you to help me, but you killed my brother."
The largest prison work strike in U.S. history has entered its third week. Organizers report that as of last week at least 20 prisons in 11 states continued to protest, including in Alabama, California, Florida, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, New York, Ohio, South Carolina and Washington. The Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee says at one point about 20,000 prisoners were on strike. With protest has come punishment. Several facilities have been put on lockdown, with prisoners kept in their cells and denied phone access both before and during the strike. Organizers have also been put in solitary confinement.
Prison officials in Alabama have confirmed a group of correction officers refused to report for the evening shift Saturday at the Holman Correctional Facility in Atmore. The apparent work strike comes as guards have been walking off the job amid safety concerns and overcrowding throughout the summer. Prisoners say there are stabbings on a regular basis, and call the facility "The Slaughterhouse." We speak to incarcerated organizer Kinetik Justice and Pastor Kenneth Glasgow, founder and national president of The Ordinary People Society.
- Trump Slams Former Miss Universe over Weight Gain
- In First, Arizona Republic Endorses Democrat for President
- San Diego: Police Kill Unarmed Black Man Having Mental Health Breakdown
- Charlotte: 9-Year-Old Girl's Testimony About Police Killings Goes Viral
- "I Won't Be Silent": Serena Williams on Police Killings of African Americans
- Wells Fargo CEO to Return $41 Million in Compensation Amid Scandal
- WSJ: Mylan Misrepresented Profit Figures of EpiPen to Congress
- Israel: Former Prime Minister Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Afghanistan: Officials Say U.S. Drone Strike Killed 18
- Syria: Two Major Hospitals Bombed Amid "Catastrophic" Airstrikes
- Bernie Sanders' Brother Running for David Cameron's Parliament Seat
- President Obama Nominates First U.S. Ambassador to Cuba in 50 Years
On Monday night, the two major-party candidates squared off for the first presidential debate. It was one of the most anticipated debates in U.S. history. Ahead of the event, TV network executives predicted as many as 100 million people across the United States would tune in. Many more also watched from around the world, including across Asia, Europe and in Latin America. But these viewers did not see any third-party candidates on stage. So, in a Democracy Now! broadcast special, we invited Dr. Jill Stein to respond to the same questions posed to Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton faced off Monday night in one of the most anticipated debates in U.S. history. The debate was held at Hofstra University on Long Island and moderated by NBC Nightly News anchor Lester Holt. Throughout the 90-minute, often antagonistic, debate, Clinton and Trump sparred on everything from foreign policy to trade deals to personal stamina. But third-party candidates, including Libertarian Gary Johnson and the Green Party’s Jill Stein, were excluded from the debate stage under stringent rules set by the Commission on Presidential Debates, which is controlled by the Democratic and Republican parties. For more, we air excerpts from the presidential debate and get response from Green Party presidential nominee Dr. Jill Stein.
Hundreds of people protested outside the debate at Hofstra University on Monday to demand the presidential debates be opened up to third-party candidates. At least 24 people were arrested. Green Party presidential nominee Dr. Jill Stein was escorted off campus by Hofstra security and Nassau County police, despite the fact that she was invited on site by MSNBC, ABC, Fox and CBS for interviews. Democracy Now! was there at Hofstra and brings you this exclusive report.
- Clinton and Trump Face Off at First Presidential Debate
- 24 Arrested Protesting Outside First Presidential Debate
- Syrian Gov't & Russia Continue Bombing Campaign in Aleppo
- Mexico: 30,000 March to Mark 2nd Anniversary of Ayotzinapa Kidnapping
- NYC Protest Marks 2nd Anniversary of Kidnapping of 43 Mexican Students
- Colombia: Gov't & FARC Signs Peace Deal Ahead of Referendum
- Texas: Gunman Opens Fire, Injuring 9, at Houston Shopping Center
- FBI: Murders in U.S. Jump 10.8% in 2015
- Alabama: Prison Guards Launched Work Strike Saturday at Holman
- Report: 46 Prisons See Protests, Lockdowns Amid Historic Work Strike
- ND: Cannonball Ranch Sold to Dakota Access Pipeline Company
- Robert Redford Backs Resistance to Dakota Access Pipeline
- U.N. Rep.: U.S. Police Killings "Reminiscent" of Lynching
We speak with a lawyer who helped to represent the six Guantánamo prisoners who the U.S. government released to Uruguay, including Jihad Abu Wa’el Dhiab. CUNY law professor Ramzi Kassem has been to Guantánamo about 50 times. He discusses his client Dhiab’s case, what he is asking for and what the situation is overall at Guantánamo. "They’ve been in Uruguay for almost two years," Kassem says. "And for that entire time, Mr. Dhiab and the other prisoners have been asking this question. You know, when are we going to see our families? Is that going to happen? How is that going to happen?"
Exclusive: Freed Gitmo Prisoner Jihad Abu Wa'el Dhiab Speaks as Pres. Candidates to Debate Terrorism
Tonight, 100 million people are expected to watch the first presidential debate, where the topics will likely include foreign policy and terrorism. Eight years after President Obama vowed to close Guantánamo during his first year in office, it remains open. Meanwhile, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has called for the prison’s expansion. Today, in a Democracy Now! exclusive, we speak with a former Guantánamo prisoner who was cleared to leave under President Bush and President Obama but remained at Guantánamo for over 12 years. Jihad Abu Wa’el Dhiab has never been charged with a crime. While at Guantánamo, he launched a series of hunger strikes to demand his freedom, and was among a group of prisoners subjected to force-feeding. Now released to Uruguay, he is currently on a hunger strike to push for his demand to be allowed to reunite with his family in Turkey or in an Arabic-speaking country. Earlier this month, Dhiab slipped into a coma for nine hours while he was on a hunger and thirst fast, revived only by a hydrating IV while he was in that coma. The day after Dhiab awoke, Democracy Now! was able to speak to him in an exclusive interview. Special thanks to José María Ciganda, Alessandro Maradei and Andrés Thomas Conteris.
Marc Lamont Hill, journalist, distinguished professor of African American studies at Morehouse College, responds to calls by Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump to expand the controversial police tactic of stop-and-frisk in order to reduce crime. "We keep adding more hay to the stack ... more people to stop-and-frisk to find nothing," Hill says. He argues a range of factors have caused crime to go down already, and concludes: "We can’t arrest our way out of a problem of state violence."
Activism Works: Charlotte Police Release Dashboard & Body Camera Video in Keith Lamont Scott Killing
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have yielded to days of protests and released two videos of the fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott. One video is from a police dashboard camera, the other from an officer’s body camera. Police say they also have more video that they have not released. The Scott family is asking the police to release all of the videos. The dashboard camera video shows Scott exiting his vehicle and taking steps backward with his arms at his sides. Police fire four shots at Scott, and he falls to the ground. The body camera video shows Scott on the ground after being shot. "The lesson is: Activism works. Organizing works. Grassroots efforts work," says Marc Lamont Hill, journalist and distinguished professor of African American studies at Morehouse College. This comes after NBC on Friday released the gut-wrenching cellphone video of Scott’s wife witnessing her husband shot and killed at the hands of police.
On Friday, NBC released a gut-wrenching cellphone video by Rakeyia Scott witnessing her husband, Keith Lamont Scott, being shot and killed by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. "She was trying to do what police somehow couldn’t do, which was de-escalate the situation. ... It’s really a remarkable act of courage and clearheadedness by his wife," says Marc Lamont Hill, journalist, distinguished professor of African American studies at Morehouse College. He notes this is not the first time an African-American wife has had to watch state violence take place in real time against her spouse, while being ignored and disrespected by officers.
- Charlotte, NC: Police Release Videos of Keith Lamont Scott Killing
- Police Arrest Charlotte Man in Protester Justin Carr's Death
- Protests Continue Across Charlotte for Sixth Straight Day
- Tulsa: Hundreds Pack Funeral of Terence Crutcher, Man Shot by Police
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Opens
- Clinton and Trump Debate Could Be Most Watched in U.S. History
- Ted Cruz Endorses Trump Despite Bitter Rivalry
- Israeli PM Netanyahu Meets Trump, Clinton in New York
- New York: Gov. Andrew Cuomo Aides Indicted for Bribery, Corruption
- Brazil: President Temer Under Investigation for Corruption
- Britain: Jeremy Corbyn Wins Re-election as Labour Party Leader
- Washington State Police Charge Man with Mass Murder
- Iowa: 12 Arrested at Direct Action Targeting Dakota Access Pipeline
- Berks Detention Center: Detainees Say Asylum Seeker Denied Adequate Healthcare
We get reaction to this week’s Senate Banking Committee hearing where Senator Elizabeth Warren grilled Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf over a growing scandal at the major Wall Street bank involving thousands of employees who took private customer information to create 2 million fake accounts in order to meet sales targets. The scandal dates back to at least 2011, and CEO John Stumpf admits he’s known about the practice since 2013. Wells Fargo has been fined $185 million. "John Stumpf let 5,300 people take the fall for his criminal behavior," says Nomi Prins. Prins is a former managing director at Bear Stearns and Goldman Sachs and previously an analyst at Lehman Brothers and Chase Manhattan Bank. Prins’s latest book is called "All the Presidents’ Bankers: The Hidden Alliances That Drive American Power."
The police killings of Keith Lamont Scott in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Terence Crutcher in Tulsa, Oklahoma, have drawn attention to policies backed by Republicans that have perpetuated racism and voter suppression, says our guest Rev. Dr. William Barber, president of the North Carolina NAACP and Moral Mondays leader.
For a third night in a row, protesters chanted "release the video!" as they took to the streets and called for police to release video of the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott. His grieving family has been shown the dashboard and body camera videos of his fatal shooting, but Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney says he had no plans to release the video at this time. We get response from Rev. Dr. William Barber, president of the North Carolina NAACP and Moral Mondays leader. His most recent book is titled "Third Reconstruction: Moral Mondays, Fusion Politics, and the Rise of a New Justice Movement."
- Tulsa: Officer Who Killed Terence Crutcher Charged with Manslaughter
- Charlotte: Protesters Demand Police Release Video of Keith Scott's Killing
- Politico: Trump Paid $8.2M of Campaign Money to His Own Businesses
- Trump Ohio Campaign Chair Resigns After Racist Comments
- 75 Former Diplomats: Trump "Entirely Unqualified" to Be President
- Leaked Democratic Party Emails Reveal Clinton & Biden Schedules
- Yahoo: 500 Million Accounts Were Hacked
- Anthony Weiner Under Probe over Claims He Sexted with 15-Year-Old
- Syria Gov't Launches Strikes on Aleppo as Kerry Calls for Grounding Aircraft
- Senate Approves $1 Billion Arms Sale to Saudis, as Saudi-Led Strikes Kill 30 in Yemen
- Philippines Marks 44th Anniversary of Declaration of Martial Law
- Guatemala: Prosecutor Who Led Ríos Montt Genocide Trial Arrested
- Puerto Rico: Power Begins to Return After Island-Wide Blackout
- 50 Tribes & First Nations Sign Treaty to Fight Tar Sands Pipelines
- North Dakota: Lakota Land Defender Olowan Martinez Freed
- Claudia Rankine, Author of "Citizen," Wins MacArthur "Genius Grant"
Did Connecticut state troopers unwittingly record themselves fabricating charges against a protester? That’s what a new lawsuit filed by the ACLU of Connecticut claims. On September 11, 2015, Connecticut resident Michael Picard was reportedly peacefully protesting at a traffic checkpoint in West Hartford when state trooper John Barone walked over to Picard and slapped Picard’s camera out of his hand. Barone then confiscated Picard’s legally carried pistol and pistol permit. When Picard picked up his camera and resumed filming, Barone erroneously claimed that filming the police is illegal. He proceeded to confiscate Picard’s camera and take it back to his police cruiser, placing it on the car’s roof. What the troopers didn’t realize was that the camera was still working and recording their full conversation. In the recording, Barone can be heard discussing with Sergeant John Jacobi how to justify charging Picard, saying at one point, "gotta cover our ass." We speak with Dan Barrett, the ACLU of Connecticut’s legal director.